January Global Macro Monthly & Investment Strategy - The Vs to shape recovery – Vaccine Vs Virus
- The balance of restrictions and virus spread has been disrupted by more contagious new virus variants.
- 2021 started with increasing virus cases in several areas, and extensions to restrictions in depth or time. We have revised our Q1 GDP forecasts lower.
- Yet vaccinations are underway. Although herd immunity will take many months, restrictions should be relaxing by the spring. This should deliver a strong growth rebound.
- Fiscal supports have been extended – or are underway. Monetary support remains, although fiscal stimulus in the US has questioned the persistence of such support.
- Fed Chair Powell has dismissed taper talk for now. We consider the balance of inflation and rate expectations a key difference between now and the 2013 taper tantrum
This document is for informational purposes only and does not constitute investment research or financial analysis relating to transactions in financial instruments as per MIF Directive (2014/65/EU), nor does it constitute on the part of AXA Investment Managers or its affiliated companies an offer to buy or sell any investments, products or services, and should not be considered as solicitation or investment, legal or tax advice, a recommendation for an investment strategy or a personalized recommendation to buy or sell securities.
It has been established on the basis of data, projections, forecasts, anticipations and hypothesis which are subjective. Its analysis and conclusions are the expression of an opinion, based on available data at a specific date. All information in this document is established on data made public by official providers of economic and market statistics. AXA Investment Managers disclaims any and all liability relating to a decision based on or for reliance on this document. All exhibits included in this document, unless stated otherwise, are as of the publication date of this document. Furthermore, due to the subjective nature of these opinions and analysis, these data, projections, forecasts, anticipations, hypothesis, etc. are not necessary used or followed by AXA IM’s portfolio management teams or its affiliates, who may act based on their own opinions. Any reproduction of this information, in whole or in part is, unless otherwise authorised by AXA IM, prohibited.
This document has been edited by AXA INVESTMENT MANAGERS SA, a company incorporated under the laws of France, having its registered office located at Tour Majunga, 6 place de la Pyramide, 92800 Puteaux, registered with the Nanterre Trade and Companies Register under number 393 051 826. In other jurisdictions, this document is issued by AXA Investment Managers SA’s affiliates in those countries.
In the UK, this document is intended exclusively for professional investors, as defined in Annex II to the Markets in Financial Instruments Directive 2014/65/EU (“MiFID”). Circulation must be restricted accordingly.
© AXA Investment Managers 2021. All rights reserved